- Should the barrier technology meet both OTR and WVTR at the same level?
- The barrier solution doesn’t have to necessarily meet both WVTR and OTR at the same level. Please indicate what levels of OTR and WVTR the proposed solution can achieve.
- We follow two standards for tests: ASTM D 3985 for OTR and ASTM F 1249 for WVTR.
- Our preferred substrate depends on the target end of life scenario. Some examples of substrates we have explored are PLA, PHA, monoPE, paper, and molded fiber. We are looking for a solution that demonstrates enhanced barrier properties of the modified vs unmodified substrate.
- The solution can be either recyclable or compostable. Please indicate what end of life the proposed solution can achieve.
- We are targeting materials to achieve US criteria, but we will also evaluate for Europe.
- We are looking for a solution that can provide or enhance the barrier of the entire structure to deliver against our barrier requirements. This includes a barrier coating or functional layer.
- Our main goal is that the final package should be able to pass recyclability or compostability testing. The preferred thickness of the final package is less than 4 mils (101.6 microns).
- Please do not provide any confidential information. However, please include any information that can give us ‘reasons to believe’ that the proposed solution can deliver against our requirements.
- We will evaluate IP ownership on the case-by-case basis.
- Novel solutions should be able to be implemented at an acceptable cost, although the new solutions do not necessarily need to be cost-equivalent to existing solutions at the start.