Reckitt uses a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) to evaluate deleterious effects of cleaners. An overview of the procedure is listed below:
- Wash all surfaces with a standard detergent (e.g. Glass Plus Multi-Surface Cleaner), rinse with tap water, and dry with a paper towel.
- Apply 2 drops of each test samples on a surface using a 3 ml plastic pipette.
- Apply 2 more drops of each test samples on the same surface and cover with 1’’ weigh pan or watch glass.
- Allow the test samples to remain for a total of 16 hours at ambient laboratory condition.
- Remove the watch glasses or weigh pans and blot up any excess test samples with paper towel.
- Allow the surfaces to remain for a total of 24 hours.
- Rate the surfaces at the end of 24 hours.
Evaluation: The ratings are as follows:
0 = Unaffected by the test sample
X = Surface changes removed by polishing the surface with Noxon or Brasso metal polish
1 = Damaged surface or permanent ·
- A rating of ‘0’ indicates the product is suitable for use on that surface.
- A rating of ‘1’ indicates the product is unsuitable for use on that surface.
- Ratings of ‘X’ will be taken on a case by case basis and will depend on the final usage instructions of the product.
- Retest any surfaces which receive an ‘X’ or ‘1’ rating with a 1-hour contact time and rate again.
- Retest any surfaces which again receive an ‘X’ or ‘1’ rating at 5 minute and 1-minute contact